Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
For information on library services during Fall 2020 go to our COVID 19 guide
How Are Books Organized?
Library of Congress Classification System
- The Library of Congress classification system organizes books by broad subject area.
- Each item is assigned a call number, which is like the book's address.
- Each call number begins with a letter or multiple letters, followed by numbers and additional combinations
- Sample Call Number: Z674.75.I58 L535 2005
- The beginning letters of a call number represent a broad subject area (ie HQ784 is "child development")