A guide of the buildings, residence halls, and other notable locations on campus.
The Academic Forum
The Academic Forum is a state-of-the-art building located on the Northside of the Kutztown Campus. It is 65,000 square feet, complete with seven classrooms fitted with the newest audio/visual technology available. It has many chairs and couches placed along with the windows so students can relax between classes or have a comfortable place to study. A complete food court is located on the lower floor, with a Chick-Fil-A, Pizzeria, and more. The mail services room is also located within the Academic Forum, along with the KU card services, distance education offices, and the classroom technology office. It was opened in 2007 after being built and designed by STV inc.
Beekey Education Center
Beekey Education Center is the main place for education majors of all kinds, be it elementary ed, middle-level ed, or secondary ed. It cost over a million dollars to build and was dedicated on October 14th, 1972. The Beekey Education Center hosts a comfortable lounge area, large conference rooms, classrooms, and the office for the Dean of Education.
It was built in memory of Dr. Cyrus Beekey, Kutztown President from 1967-1968, and the Dean of Education for several years prior.
Boehm Science Center
Boehm Science Center has floors dedicated to Geography (ground floor), Biology (2nd floor), Chemistry (3rd floor), and physics (4th floor). There are several large scale auditoriums in Boehm, as well as several scientific models and exhibits throughout the building. There are numerous classrooms within the building, more so even after its renovation in the early 2000s which added over 70,000 square feet to the building.
The DeFrancesco Building was built in 1968. The building originally housed the social sciences, foreign languages, history, and political science departments. In 1993-1994, the building was renovated and expanded. Today the building is home to the College of Business. It was built in dedication of Italo Luther deFrancesco, the president of Kutztown from 1959 to 1967. Most students refer to the building as "deFran".
One of the more unique buildings on campus, the Graduate Center sits in the center of the campus, directly across from Old Main. The Graduate Center used to be the Rohrbach Library until the current library was built in the mid-sixties. It now is used as a computer lab, for classes, and has the offices of the Dean of Liberal arts and sciences as well as the geography department located inside.
Grim Science Building
Grim Science building is home to the campus planetarium, as well as the housing the astronomy offices. The building is named after Professor Grim, a zoology professor who worked at Kutztown.
The Honors Building was built as an independent housing for upper level honors students, as well as a place where they can have access to specialized equipment, resources, and quiet places to study. The Hall boasts a full kitchen, two honors classrooms, a color printer, a computer lab, and more.
Keystone Hall is a field house completed in 1971 at a cost of $2,300,000. It was the nineteenth building completed under a building-development program begun in the 1960s. Its architect was a Reading-based firm titled Wayne M. High and Sons. The dedication occurred on May 1st, 1971.
The department offices of Intercollegiate Athletics, in addition to classrooms for the Department of Sport Management, are located here. There's also a public pool for activities and events. Students and visitors can watch basketball, wrestling, swimming, or volleyball games here. The area is also used to host the annual Decision Makers Forum.
Lytle Hall was named after Dr. Clyde F. Lytle, the late head of Kutztown State College's English department. It was built at a cost of $1,600,000 by the architect firm Shenk and Seibert Architects, Wyomissing. Lytle Hall was dedicated on May 7th, 1977. Today the Departments of English, History, and Mathematics are located here.
Dr. Clyde Francis Lytle was born in 1890 in Harrisburg, PA to Charles and Catherine (Weiss) Lytle. Dr. Lytle is an alumnus of Millersville State Normal School, class of 1913. His additional education comes from work at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia and an M.A. in English at Middlebury College. He received his Doctorate in English Education from New York University in 1942. A veteran of World War I, Lytle joined the Kutztown State College faculty in 1922 at the age of 32. He became the head of the English Department a year later. Lytle was very involved during his time at Kutztown State. In 1933, he composed the Kutztown State College Alma Mater and in the same year he started the publication of “The Keystone.” He served as Dean of Instruction from 1948 until his retirement in 1956. Dr. Lytle’s many accomplishments include, “Who’s Who of American Scholars,” and the publication of many English textbooks for college instruction. Dr. Clyde F. Lytle died April 24, 1969; eight years later he became the namesake of Lytle Hall, which houses the English, Mathematics, and History departments
McFarland Student Union
The McFarland Student Union (commonly called the MSU) is a central hub for students on the north side of campus. There is much to do here, between grabbing a coffee from Starbucks located in the Bears' Den, eating lunch from Cub Cafe, catching a movie at the theater, or even shopping at the Kutztown University school store. There are also several rooms available for clubs to meet, host study sessions with friends in, to have guest speakers come in, and a myriad of other opportunities.
The Multicultural Center is where clubs such as S.A.L.S.A and the Black Student Union meeting. This center is to promote cultural exploration, leadership, and inclusively. It is located on the south side of campus.
O'Pake Field House
The O'Pake Fieldhouse is named after Michael A. O'Pake, who was a democratic state senator that represented Kutztown amongst other Berks County areas since 1972 until his death in 2010.
The Fieldhouse contains the university's indoor track and courts for basketball, tennis, and volleyball. Gym classes and varsity athletics occur here during the day. O'Pake Fieldhouse is also where all graduation ceremonies are held.
Rickenbach Research and Learning Center
The Rickenbach Research and Learning Center, or Learning Center, in short, was built for Mary E. Rickenbach, who was a 1912 graduate that returned in 1919 to become the Supervisor of the primary grades of Model School before moving up to Dean-Emeritus by 1962. Its architect firm was Elwood Schell, A. L. Wiesenberger Associates of Allentown, PA. It cost $1,650,000 including furnishings.
Today it hosts the Electronic Media Department and a working television studio. The Communications Studies and Theatre Departments also call the Learning Center it's home.
Risley Hall was dedicated on May 5, 1973, for Walter P. Risley, who was the Assistant Professor of Health and Physical Education and coach of Intercollegiate Athletics for over twenty-five years.
It was the first gymnasium until Keystone Hall was built. Risley still houses a free-weight room that athletes are welcome to use.
In the early 1900s, the school administration of Keystone State Normal School planned to consolidate the separate libraries held by the Philomathean Literary Society and the Keystone Literary Society. The initial library was built to house 1,000 volumes at the cost of $100,000. It was completed in 1915.
As Kutztown transitioned from a Normal School to a state teacher's college and then to a fully-fledged state college, the small library became woefully outdated. It was decided that a new library would be built while the old one became the Graduate Center. On November 14th, 1968, classes were canceled and approximately 2,000 students took place in the "book walk" where students would gather a stack of books from the old library and carry them to the new one. Begun at 8 AM, the book walk finished the move 75 minutes before the day's 4 PM deadline. It was dedicated on May 24, 1969, and cost $1,336,000 to build. The library is named in honor of the sixth president, Dr. Quincy A.W. Rohrbach who led the charge for Kutztown to become a true state college.
Rohrbach Library began renovations in January 1997. The addition totaled 53,205 square feet and, in addition to adding new offices and locations, brought about new carpeting and expanded seating to name a few perks. This expansion project totaled $8,800,000 and was completed in July 1998.
The "heart" of the academic side of Kutztown, the library is to this day a popular place for students to gather, relax, and study. The first floor houses the Main Collection and reference collections. The second floor has a computer lab for all students to use, the Vision Enhancement Center, and the Periodicals/Interlibrary Loan Office. The ground floor hosts the Curriculum Materials Center, the Learning Technologies Center, and the Academic Enrichment Office. In addition to these centers, the Library Science and Instructional Technology Department have its offices on the ground floor.
Schaeffer Auditorium was built by the General State Authority with funds from the Public Works Administration. Construction was finished by late May 1941. It was named after President Nathan Schaeffer.
Musical, dance, and theatrical performances are hosted here. The Performing Artists Series also brings in many outsider performers for students and residents alike to enjoy. Classrooms for music students are found here, in addition to a small secondary theatre. A costume shop is also found here for students to employ as need be.
It was recently renovated in 2012. The additions include modernized classrooms, a loading dock, elevators, and new backstage areas including dressing rooms. A gallery display was added along with a water element in an outdoor connection to the Auditorium and the Sharadin Arts Building.
Sharadin Art Building
The Sharadin Art Studio is named in honor of Henry W. Sharadin, who was the Director of the Art Department and Painting from 1902 to 1916 and 1925 to 1939. The Studio was renovated and its new fine arts wing opened on April 21st, 1971. It cost $1,300,000 to build.
It was expanded once more in 2008. The College of Visual and Performing Arts along with the Dean of the college of art call Sharadin home. The building includes numerous classrooms for students, the Sharadin Art Gallery, and a gallery which showcases the works of current students in the program.
The Stratton Administration Building is home to most of the upper-level administrators. Financial aid offices, student account offices, Dean of students, dean of graduate studies, President and Vice Presidents offices, the registrar, and disability services are found in this building.
This hall hosts about one hundred and forty students who, outside of CA's and other employees, are mainly freshmen. The first floor contains the Health and Wellness Center as well as counseling services, which treats any injured or sick students, along with providing access to counseling and therapy. The building is dedicated in honor of Bright W. Beck, a 1907 graduate of Keystone State Normal School. He was chair of the social studies department at KSNS and Kutztown State Teachers College. He later became dean of men at the school, retiring in 1951. He passed away in 1970.
Berks hall offers its students a computer lab, laundry facilities, a recreation room, and a kitchen. Berks forms the "Tri-County" dorms with Lehigh and Schuylkill Halls.
Bonner Hall is named after Ruth E. Bonner, who was a resident of Kutztown that took up teaching for nearly all of her professional life in the area (1949-1965). She became the first recipient of the President's Award for Superior Teaching in 1960 by Kutztown State College. The dormitory was dedicated on May 3rd, 1975. It was originally built as a women's residence hall.
Today this hall is coed and hosts two hundred and ninety-three students. A courtyard was erected in the center of the building which is a popular place for programming or relaxing. The Housing and Residential Services Leadership Conference Room and the Frederick Douglass Institute Living Learning Community are found here.
This six-floor hall houses male students on the lower three floors and female students on the upper three. This is the only hall that stays open during school breaks, making it a popular home for athletes. It has a computer lab, laundry facilities, and a recreation room for its residents. CASA is also found here and is open to students to drop in or make appointments.
Deatrick Hall is named after William Wilberforce Deatrick, who was a professor here from 1890 to the early 1920s. He taught pedagogy, Higher English, psychology, and served as the editor and sponsor of the Keystone Literary Society. He was the chair of Higher English for a number of years as well. He was the school photographer, creating many of the postcards and pictures from the early 20th century. Some of his works are in display in old main, and some are located in the library in the quiet section.
Dixon Hall is the newest dormitory building on the campus.It i s able to house up to eight hundred and fifty six students in two single or double occupancy bedrooms, which share a bathing area. Student athletes usually get first pick at dorms in Dixon Hall. A central courtyard provides a popular location for hanging out with friends, and the Dixon Marketplace is available as an on campus spot for snacks, clothes, tech odds and ends, and school supplies.
Dixon Hall is named after F. Eugene Dixon, Jr., founding chairman of Pa. State System of Higher Education Board of Governors.Dixon was very much into athletics, having coached and played many sports in his life, which is why the Athletes are housed primarily in Dixon Hall. Dixon also bouhgt the ionic "LOVE" statue that stands in center city, Philadelphia, and then donated it to the city.
Golden Bear Village West
These apartment-style complexes host two to six students per unit and are available to everyone except first-semester freshmen. The West apartments include eighteen townhouses that provide homes for one hundred and seven students.
Golden Bear Village South
The South apartments have eight different buildings which offer eighty eight Garden Apartments and sixty-seven Mid-Rise Apartments. These are located past south Dining Hall and University Place.
Johnson Hall was named after Lillian E. Johnson. Its date stone unveiling occurred on May 28th, 1966 during Alumni Day. Three hundred and twenty-seven residents live in this coed building. Students here have access to a recreation room, laundry and kitchen, and a computer lab.
Lehigh is a coed building for two hundred and twenty-two students which is divided into two wings for each sex. Lehigh has a recreation room in addition to laundry and kitchen facilities for its students. It's also a part of the "Tri-County" dorms and shares a courtyard with each of them. Lehigh was recently renovated in order to be more accessible for physically disabled students.
Rothermel Hall is named after Amos C. Rothermel. It was dedicated on October 13th, 1960 and cost $1,157,839 for the building, furniture, and equipment. The Hall was built as a male-only residence hall for 200 students.
Today this dorm is coed, with a wing for males and a wing for females. Two hundred and ten residents max can live in this building. All residents have access to a computer lab, a recreational room, a kitchen, and game tables.
Schuylkill is a unique residence in that it is coed by door on each wing. Two hundred and nine students share a laundry room, a music room, and a recreation room which includes a kitchen. This dorm is a member of the "Tri-County" group and was recently renovated to include elevators.
University Place is a coed suite-style hall for three hundred and ninety three students. Each suite includes four double occupancy bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a living room area. All suites share the central courtyard and a laundry room, a recreation suite, a conference room, and a kitchen.
Old Main, built-in 1866, served as both an academic building and residence hall for the Keystone Normal School (now Kutztown University). As the campus expanded, residents were phased out of Old Main and placed in the newly built Southside dormitories. Old Main resides at the center of the campus, sitting right by the main road leading through Kutztown, between the Northside of campus and the Southside of campus.
Old Main serves as an academic building with many purposes, including but not limited to, department and faculty offices as well as adminstrative offices, and classrooms.
There is a small display section in the lobby of Old Main, known as the Concourse, with artifacts, and photographs from the university's past can be viewed.
The Boxwood House is where the Graduate Admissions Offices, International Admissions, and International Programs are located, across from Old Main.
Kutztown University Foundation is located here.
Schock Education House
The Schock Education House contains offices for Conference Services, University Relations, Marketing and Communications.
Wisenberger Alumni Center
Dixon Marketplace is the place on campus where students can buy Kutztown Gear, as well as general need items such as toiletries, food, and school supplies.
This is the place on campus where students can bring their technological issues to and have them taken care of in a mostly taken care of. Within, there is also a computer lab with a printer
This building houses the official HR department for Kutztown University. Named after E.L. Kemp, a professor who used to work here.